Illinois Greyhounds

This history of Company A 37th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was written by our father, Henry Ketzle, for his family and at the request of an old comrade. The data is from his diary kept by him throughout the Civil War Years, and written in the early 1900's. We are proud to share it with you and hope you may enjoy it as much as we have.

H.B. Ketzle
Santa Rosa, California

Eleanor Ketzle Grimm
Williams Bay, Wisconsin

Marguerite Ketzle Neaman
Reynolds, Illinois

I am the fourth generation Ketzle to reproduce my great-great-grandfather's diary.  The changes in my reproduction are primarily in paragraphing and verifying and re-spelling location names.  This document is meant to be a recounting of the events, and not intrepreted in itself as a historical document.  I welcome factual corrections.
Jeff Ketzle Home Page
Miami, Florida
November 1996

Military History of the 37th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, but more particularly of Company A said Regiment, from its organization in July and August 1861 till its muster out of service the 15th of May 1866 at Houston, Texas. (4 yrs. 10 mon.)


This Company was raised in Rock Island County and the adjoining towns of Richland Grove, Preemption, and Perryton of Mercer County under the first call of President Lincoln for 300,000 men for 3 years in July 1861 and was recruited under the auspices of M. S. Barnes journalist, H. Curtis Jr. Lawyer and J. A. Jordan farmer. On the 14th of August having the requisite number of over 84 they proceeded to a formal election and organization, with the understanding that on the following Monday the 19th, all were to rendezvous in Rock Island City. On the evening of the 19th, with an aggregate of about 112, after several patriotic addresses, we went aboard the cars amid shaking of hands and other farewell tokens from our parents and friends and ere long we were on our way to Chicago, where we arrived early on the morning of the 20th, landing at the C & R Depot. We were received by our future Colonel, and under his guidance accompanied by a brass band marched to the Illinois Central R. R. Depot, where we welcomed a column of men from Stark County under C. V. Dickinson. Then both Companies proceeded to the splendid "Sherman House" where the proprietor furnished us a good and substantial breakfast free after which we were marched thru North Clark Street to the city limits, and in a pleasant shady place Wrights Grove, we met several other skeleton companies of men, all eager for U.S. Service. In the afternoon we were duly provided with tin pans, knife and fork and spoon and later in evening with wedge-tents and about 9 P.M. with blankets. So ended our first day's initiation in army service and with the best of spirits we bid farewell, for a time indefinite, to comforts previously enjoyed.

Forenoon of the 21st we were sworn into the service of U.S. by Captain Webb, U.S.A. Being now considered as regular enlisted soldiers, we got our first foretaste of what it meant when the first annexed General Order was issued:

Hdqtrs Camp Webb Fremont Rifles Chicago August 22 1861
By order of acting Col. the following orders are issued Reveille at 5:00 a.m. Drill " 5:30 " Breakfast " 7:00 " Sick " 7:30 " 1st Sargt call " 8:00 " Guard Mount " 9:00 " Comp. and squad drill " 10:00 " Dinner " 12:00 Drill " 2:00 p.m. Dress parade " 5:00 " Supper and retreat " 6:00 " Tattoo " 9:00 " Taps " 9:30 " So ended the 3rd day
September 1861

From now on it was daily drill and routine to make perfect soldiers out of us. On Sept. 2nd all 10 companies being in camp, an election of Field and Company officers was held, and J. White our energetic acting Colonel was duly elected, as he deserved to be, as he was untiring in his efforts and labored to make us not only good soldiers but also comfortable in all he could.

September 6th we changed from our quarters in N.W. corner to S.E. corner being more shady, and also from wedgetents to the larger Sibley where generally 16 to 18 constituted a mess. September 16th found us donning regular uniforms and same day in progressive order found us also in possession of equippage. On the 17th our Colonel was presented with a horse and accouterments. On the 18th we were mustered into service as a Regiment by Captain Brackett, 2nd U.S. Drag. and said to be under orders from Washington -- so every passing day bro't us closer to the stern realities of soldier life -- till on the 19th, in columns of platoons, after a march to and thru the city, we drilled in front of The Board of Trade Building -- formed in open square and after several spirited and patriotic speeches by Judge Joe Knox and others,the Regiment was presented with its colors and flag from members of above named Board of Trade.

From there we started for the Illinois Central R.R. depot -- and took cars for St. Louis. All along the line of Alton and St. Louis R.R. we saw manifestations of patriotism by supplying us with all they had.

Evening of Sept. 20 arrived in Illinois Town, now East St. Louis and went right aboard steamer, "Belle of Memphis," where we remained over night. The 21st marched in and through St. Louis and halted in front of General J.C. Fremont's Hdqtrs., where we were highly complimented on our soldiery appearance and to make words more sure Mrs. Jessie Fremont tied red, white and blue ribbons to our flag and colors, as our colors had imprinted in its folds a picture of J.C. Fremont scaling the rocky mountains. From there we marched to Benton Barracks where we made ourselves at home in good commodious quarters and were made more perfect in drill until the 22nd of September.

Our Company was assigned as Company A on right of Regiment, one half of the boys were armed with Colt's Revolving rifles. On the 26th, with muskets on our shoulders and heavy loaded knapsacks, the Regiment embarked on three boats and after a rather tedious trip thru' the winding channel of the Missouri, we landed the 2nd of October at Booneville, Missouri where we found the 5th Iowa and 9th Missouri under acting Brigade.

October 1861 - January 1862

Our 3 week stay at Booneville can truly be counted as one of the most pleasant features of our early campaign, as scouting in small parties gave us all the land could afford, both in milk and honey and other things. The Regiment moved in the last two months a distance of 450 miles by car and boat and in addition shorter distances while scouting.

On October 13th we received marching orders, and leaving Companies C and H under the command of Colonel Barnes at Booneville, rest of the Regiment started on its first heavy march to Otterville, where we arrived the 16th and camped beyond -- but oh that first march long to be remembered! While laying there in camp we were brigaded and put into the Center Division of Pope's army -- on October 22nd the two flanking Companies A and K were now fully armed with Colt's revolving rifles and on the 29th the march commenced again. November 1st we passed thru' Warsaw on the Osage River, then on and through Humansville where we first heard of the enemy attacking our advance forces -- unaligning our knapsacks, we started in light marching order and after about 36 hours march reached Springfield, Missouri, about 50 miles distant. On the 5th, on less than one quarter rations, only about one day behind the division which had started almost a week before us, we passed then and in so doing, we gained the nickname of "Illinois Greyhounds."

On the 6th, trains came up too, but we fared no better as to rations, as they did not bring very much, so we had to subsist best as we could, by stealing corn from mule and horses and parching it. Finally on the 9th of November we left Springfield again and reached our Camp near Otterville on the 16th, but on account of poor water, after 2 days, changed, and went in Camp near Syracuse November 20 till the 28th -- move camp again to near Samine River bottom, where all the forces seem to concentrate and here December 10th we received our first pay from Uncle Sam -- part in greenbacks and part in gold and silver. December 15th at midnight received marching orders and sunrise found us 7 miles from camp, in advance of Brigades consisting of 8th, 18th and 22nd Indiana Volunteers. By 2 p.m. we were 2 miles north of Sedalia and here we were ordered to await further orders. On the 19th the rebel brigade, captured by General Pope and forces, made camp near us till they ere shipped to St. Louis to graduate in old St. Louis Medical College, under instructions from Halleck, and next day, the 20th, we were ordered to march again, but snowing very heavily -- orders were countermanded. We marched the 22nd and by evening were back to camp near Samine River but had to clear snow from our former tenting places.

About December 24th, Captain J.A. Jordan resigned on account of ill health. H. Curtis was promoted to Captain, Lieutenant Hawes to First Lieutenant and orderly L. B. Morey to Second Lieutenant. It being the dead of winter active operations ceased somewhat for awhile -- but not so, camp drill guard, and fatigue duties, and between these and, supplying wood to keep us comfortable, all our time was well occupied till January 22nd when we received another two months pay. January 25th saw our whole encampment go up in smoke and flames, and us in line of march to renew active operations again.

Various were the rumors of our destination, till evening when we found we ere headed southwest, and then we knew it wasn't St. Louis or any place east of it. That night we camped near Versailles and had a good drenching rain during the night. Next day marched Big Gravois bottom through mud and water -- had some more rain during night which turned to slush and snow by morning. Here we built bridge to cross on -- river being too swollen to ford -- orders to push ahead and surplus baggage burned up, we started out in a snow storm, and, after crossing creek ascended Ozark Mountain range.

February 1862

February 2nd made camp near Linn Creek, on account of rain and snow had to lay over another day till finally on February 7th we reached Lebannon, the rendezvous of the other divisions of our army. February 8th the whole forces engaged in a sham battle and on the 9th started our as the right wing of the Army of South West Missouri under the command of Jeff C. Davis -- Company "A" being advance guard -- by noon we fell in with some of General Sigel's troops, forming the center, while General C. Carr with his command formed the left. February 12th about 25 miles from Springfield we ran onto the enemy's pickets, ran them till towards evening and drove them in about dusk. Companies A and K of thee 37th Illinois and Companies of the 59th Illinois Infantry were ordered forward to skirmish and after "double quicking" for a mile or so under lead of major J.C. Black, entered the timber, while our artillery shelled ahead of us, we deployed at 5 paces and skirmished through woods and clearings, were over fences, stumps, brush and logs -- sky being somewhat overcast, many a tumble was made, but nothing serious happened, as we found by our Rally on the main road about midnight.

On the morning of the 13th we entered Springfield the second time with bands playing and flags flying. Price had left in great haste during the night and the way the road along his retreat was littered with broken down meal wagons, mules, horses and every thing else, showed plainly that he and his rebels were doing their utmost to get away from us, but nevertheless, our pursuit was so close that every afternoon our advance caught up with his rear and generally had a skirmish till dark, till on the 18th when shortly after noon our advance cavalry, the 1st Missouri, and 1dst Iowa made an attack on them near Sugar Creek Hill and had quite an engagement, whereby we lost 9 men and 15 horses. Their losses were heavier, so after a pursuit of over 100 miles they finally slipped away from us.

March 1862 (Battle of Elkhorn Tavern / Pea Ridge)

From Sugar Creek Hill we marched to Bentonville, but from there we were ordered back to Sugar Creek bottom, as water and forage were plenty thereabout. Here we camped and rested till morning of March 6th when orders came to cook 3 day's rations -- that same afternoon we found that Sigel and forces were hard pressed by the combined forces of Van Dorn, Price and McCloulough and we were ordered to fall back to north side of Sugar Creek Hill and fortify approaches of main road during rest of afternoon and night -- but morning showed our work was in vain as the complete rebel army had outflanked us on our left by a road, west and parallel, leading thru' Leetown to Elkhorn tavern, which place was directly in our rear on the Texas and Springfield road and forming the only practical outlet through the Ozark mountain range, commonly known as Crosstimber hollow -- and so we were virtually cut off from any retreat and knew what was before us. When , therefore, on the forenoon of March 7th our trains, under escort of General Carr's Divisions, were stopped near Elkhorn tavern by Price's forces being stationed across the roads.

They opened with shot and shell on us, Sigel's forces being to the left of Carr's Division were also involved and so by 10 A.M. the Battle of Pea Bridge (or Elkhorn Tavern) started and soon developed all along the whole line. After 12 o'clock, there being somewhat of a lull our Brigade was ordered from where we had fortified near Leetown, where McCullough with McIntosh and forces were crowding our troops pretty heavy. After passing though Leetown, while the 37th Illinois unslung knapsacks, the rest of the Brigade deployed behind a rail fence on either side of a lane or road leading toward the rebel forces.

The 37th filed into the lane, a fence and open field on the left, when the Peoria Battery, belonging to our Brigade, was stationed shelling the woods in front or to the north of us -- on the west on our right ut was tall timber with a very heavy undergrowth of young oaks which had best all the dry leaves hanging on yet. When about two-thirds the distance down the lane, we filed by the right flank into those woods, Company A in the lead having entered the underbrush, somewhat more than the length from the regiment we left flanked, and some of Company A noticed some troops before us and wanted to fire, but they wore blue overcoats (stolen the day before form some of Sigel's train) an officer of Company B cried to us "Don't shoot, they are our own men" -- scarcely had these words been uttered when we ere staggered by a heavy volley fired almost in our faces which extended the whole front and even in the rear of the first three companies. Underbrush being very thick we couldn't see much but smoke and fire, but we dropped to the ground and let them have it as fast as we could pull trigger with our five shooters -- Company A and Company K of our Regiment had Colt's revolving rifles and our rapid firing disconcerted them some, but being a whole brigade of Texan and Louisiana troops, they crowded us back with heavy loss to some of the more advanced companies -- back we fell to the lane, then over the fence and into the field and finally behind our battery and the fence, hard pressed by overwhelming numbers of rebs, but when once composed, the Indiana Brigade rose with a yell and poured it into them which not only stopped the rebs but soon sent them flying pell mell before us, more so, as about that time another of their leaders, McCullough, having been killed and now McIntosh had fallen, we drove them till near dark when some of us returned to our knapsacks and to take care of our wounded.

We found we had lost of Company A, 5 killed, 4 mortally wounded and 24 others more or less wounded, out of a total of 54 which entered battle. The loss of the Regiment was, I believe 31 killed and 119 wounded. During the night we slept on our arms, not knowing what another day might bring forth, although outnumbered in almost every place we didn't feel whipped, and during the night rumors of all sorts spread through the camp (likely to cheer up our shaky men) such as, that Hunter with 20,000 men by way of Kansas was in rear of Rebs etc.

At any rate dawn of March 8th found us all ready to renew the fight and do our duty whatever else night happen. A little before sunrise the 37th and 59th Illinois were ordered forward on the Texas road, but filed to the left in a large meadow, cut in two parts by a high rail fence. We were ordered to level the fence and make an opening to let our Battery through --by the time we had leveled the fence they galloped up, wheeled, unlimbered and we were ordered as support behind the railpiles and just as the orb of day rose in the east, our battery sounded the breakfast call for the Rebs by dropping shells in quick succession among them, and from where we lay, we could see the flutter it created among them on the hill back of Elkhorn, and we had a good range, they were quite awhile ere they answered and the first few shots dropped way behind us, but nearer and nearer they were getting our range, as they were up on quite an elevation, till finally, they hit the rail piles ahead of us scattering them and us at a pretty lively rate, but we rallied behind the 4th Iowa.

After our falling back, Battery also was ordered to move back because we had ascertained the position of their artillery and other forces. Before long Sigel had all the batteries of his own and Carr's and our division in line and opened up on them constant and terrific fire, with shot and shell, until about eleven o'clock when they showed signs of weaking in their fire, after which a general charge of the infantry was ordered and when we got near Elkhorn Tavern we found the Rebels in wild flight toward the southeast -- our cavalry went in pursuit, taking many prisoners and so ended the 3 days battle of Pea Ridge fought by the Union troops under fearful odds as our numbers told 14,000 effective men under Curtis, Sigel, Davis and Carr, while the Rebs under Price, Van Dorn according to their own statement over 35,000 men, as was after corroborated by many of them that we met in Texas and other places.

And here may I add the history of this struggle has never been the prominence it deserved nor have the officers who participated in it ever been rewarded according to their merit, here like everywhere else jealousies and bickerings have tarnished the fame of worthy ones and it will be long before all concerned in our struggle will have received their just desserts. This hard contested battle, having been fought on the far western frontier, and the pressure on the eve of other great Union victories, was therefore overshadowed by those later Union victories -- but in its bearings it had as far reaching effect, as Gettysburg or any other claimed decisive battle, -- as it not only settled the Rebels in the Southwest for some time to come, but released most of our Southwest Army for use in other more needed places and also helped to greatly revive the drooping spirits of the North.

From the 9th to the 19th of March we camped 5 miles north of the battlefield recruiting and tending to our wounded. On the 19th rumors of another Rebel advance were afloat, and we moved still further back, making camp near state line (between Missouri and Arkansas.) There we remain until April 7th, when the rest of the army moved off towards Southeast, while the37th with the Peoria Battery and 1 batallion of 1st Missouri Cavalry under Major Hubbard were left as Post Guard at Cassville, Missouri, where most of our wounded lay. From here the command sent out daily scouting parties against remnants of Rebels under Colonel Price, Coffee and Queentral and had skirmishes with them Barryville, Newtonia Marahfiled and other places in all of which we proved victors. Sometimes taking more prisoners than our own numbers.

Summer 1862

June 26th we were under marching orders again facing Eastward and reached Springfield, Missouri on July 1st. Here our former Colonel, J. White, now Brigadier General gave us his farewell address, (he being under orders for the East,) and in it he expressed the desire that he would like to have the Regiment with him, but we remained at said Post scouting and doing guard duty. August 1st, Company A was ordered to Ozark, Southwest of Springfield where we remained till August 19th.

September 1862

From August 25th to September 26th the most of Company A (24 men) as well as the Regiment were detailed to work on breast works around Springfield having otherwise jolly times. September 29th finds us again on the march for Camp McCellan. October 1st leave there and go in camp near Pond Springs, remain there till 8 P.M. when resume march under a drenching rain all night till we reached Newtown October 4th at 8 A.M. only to find the Rebels gone.

October - November 1862

October 9th march 13 miles to Gadfly through wind and rain -- October 12th march 12 miles to Cassville, October 17th leave Cassville and march 24 miles to old battlefield of Pea Ridge, camping on same ground as before. October 20th start at 5 A.M. on forced march to Huntsville, march all day and night, then make camp at 8 P.M. -- leave evening of 22nd towards Bentonville, continuing all night, cross White River at 10 A.M. October 23rd and camp 4 miles south of Cross Hollows. October 24th were on march again and camp near Osage Springs.

October 27th on march again at 6 P.M. -- marching all night, arrived at Fayetteville at daylight of 28th continued march to West Branch of White River and return again October 30th to Cross Springs (25 miles). November 2nd march 12 miles to Fords Springs -- then 15 miles to Keithsville, Missouri which we found mostly in ruins. November 4th march thru Cassville (20 miles) and camp near Cane Creek. November 5th march 22 miles to Marionville -- cold windy days. November 10 resume march by way of Little York and Wilson's Creek 35 miles to Ozark and on the 14th march 10 miles out on the Huntsville road -- move 2 miles further on the 15th to Pelican Creek, November 20th come to a right-about -- march 20 miles through Linden and Ozark to Finley Creek and move on to Crane Creek -- raining during the last two days most of the time, men being without tents and many even without blankets and rations.

December 1862 - February 1863

Remain in Camp Lyon till 3 A.M. on December 4th when we march to Flat Creek, on the 5th to beyond Keithsville, leave camp on the 6th at 5 A.M. -- march steady till 4 P.M. -- bivouac until midnight when we resume march pushing ahead at a lively rate thru' Fayetteville, Arkansas to Prairie Grove -- hearing the roar of cannon from the distance, we knew what was ahead. We reached the grove at 10 A.M. -- Company A was here employed as skirmishes and had 2 casualties and one mortally wounded the other slightly (more explicit see letters of H. H. B. C.)

December 27th left Prairie Grove with an expedition for Arkansas River in light marching order -- cross the Boston Mountain range on into Van Buren on the Arkansas River -- in 2 days march 50 miles and capture 3 boats and burn them and other stores, after a days work like that return to grove December 31, 1862. January 2, 1863 move from Prairie Grove to Fayetteville, Arkansas, 12 miles. January 6th march east from Fayetteville 14 miles to Camp Rosencranz, lay there till the 10th--then on to Huntsville, remain there till the 18th when we move out onto Bentonville road again, weather cold and wintry, roads almost impassible obliged to lay along roadside in knee deep mud till the 22nd when we move 6 miles farther northwest.

January 24th cross White River again and camp in Cross Hollows (17 miles) the 25th march to Elkhorn Tavern again and on the 26th arrive in Camp Siegel. January 29th pass through Keithsville and Cassville and camp on Flat Creek--on 30th move to Camp Schofield, where we remain recruiting up till February 14th, then move to Camp Bliss where we have some rest, but strict discipline and lots of guard and other duties under Brig, General James Totten (Uncle Jimmie).

March, April 1863

March 1st leave Camp Bliss and march 15 miles to McCulloughs Springs, road terribly bad yet. On the 2nd cross James River and march 28 miles to Ozark. Early on the 3rd resume march 15miles to Lockport--on the 4th still on the road (L.B. and myself join Company while here on march)--march some 15 miles east of Hazelwood to Camp Bloomington--remain there till the 14th, march again eastward and bivouac 8 miles west of Martsville. Resume march on 15th of March and by 4 p.m. reach camp on Elkcreek. April 3rd leave the beautiful camp at Elkcreek--march 12 miles to Robadeaux Creek and on the 5th march 15 miles to Big Piney River, build bridge and cross same day 13 miles to Spring Creek. On the 6th march 15 miles to Little Piney River and here remain in Camp Totten until afternoon on the 23rd, when we strike tents and go 10 miles to Rolls--from there take cars on the 24th for St. Louis.

We arrive there by evening and go into camp back by Arsenal grounds. Remain there till evening 25th when at 9:30 p.m. we were ordered aboard the Ocean Wave for Camp Girardeau--land there about 3 p.m. on the 26th of April. Company A and B get stationed in Fort Bliss for support of siege guns--at 2 a.m. of the 27th get ordered to Fort "C" and remain there under arms that day and the next also, but evening of 28th receive marching orders--march all that night--next day and following night through swamps and creeks, over hill and dale till evening of 29th when we bivouac along roadside.

May 1863

On the 30th have reveille by 3 .am. start at 4 and by 8 cross Castor River on a floating bridge, built by us, -- reach Bloomfield toward evening May first. Start from Bloomfield at 7 a.m. still in hot pursuit of Marmaduke and his forces, march till midnight--Early next morning heavy firing ahead, quicken up our gait and reach Chalk Bluffs on the St. Francois River about 10 a.m., having marched 8 miles. Companies A and K were immediately deployed as skirmishers along the river bottom--rest of Regiment supported battery. As there was considerable firing on extreme left, the casualties of the Regiment, one lieutenant killed and several slightly wounded-but having no proper means to cross the river in further pursuit, we turned about and marched back to Bloomfield, reaching there on the evening of the 3rd. On May 4th bury Lt. Eaton of Company H and later marched to Camp Girardeau on the 6th, again having marched in 5.5 days 140 miles over some of the worst roads in Missouri. May 6th resume march again with 20th Iowa in lead--37th in center and 26th Indiana in rear--the Iowa boys smarting under former practical army jokes vented on them made the assertion they meant to be 2 hours ahead in camp of the 37th, therefore started about 10 a.m. at a pretty lively pace, but Major Payne having reported their intentions to us we kept up with them, in fact, crowded them as close as we could, their ambulances being pretty well strung out which kept us back, but about 2 p.m. when near Little Piney River, the road wound around the bluffs or banks till it came near a wide fording--the 20th kept the road, while part of left wing of 37th Companies A,B,C, and D plunged into creek waist deep, forded at different places, thereby coming out on main road, under cheers from all behind us, not only ahead of our own Regiment, but also ahead of the colors of the 20th Iowa--thereby vindicating our soubriquet of "Illinois Greyhounds" and by p.m. went into camp not only to dry off by also to rest on our laurels.

Remain at the Cape G. till the 8th when we go aboard another steamer and reach St. Louis again by noon of the 9th. Remain in St. Louis till morning of the 14th meantime participating in the celebration of the anniversary of taking of Camp Jackson in May '61 by General Lyons. Also getting new clothing which we sadly needed. On the 14th went aboard the cars for Pilot Knob and go in camp there on the 15th southwest of town and while there we received our shelter tents.

June 1863

June 3rd leave Pilot Knob and after a 20 mile march camp near Farmington--resume march on June 4th march and camp close to St. Genevieve, on the 5th embark on the Transport Hannibal and on the 6th start down the river, reached Millikens Bend and Young Points on the 11th. From there start up the Yazoo River to Haines Bluff, but are ordered back and on the 12th land at Youngs Point, LA. The same day start across the Point and get to Opposite Warrentown, then on the 13th are ferried across to Mississippi side and land in rear of Vicksburg. From now on the fat of the city is only a question of time, as our arrival closes the gap left open so far.

The extreme left, being a sandy flat and low ground, was used by them as their means of communication. On the afternoon of the 14th we advanced to within one-half mile of enemy's works and commenced immediately to entrench ourselves, throw up breastworks and in short participate in the siege in all its different details, in fact more so than troops here longer, as most generally on half the men fit for duty were in the trenches, while the other half were on fatigue duty during night. July 1863 From July 1st till noon July 3rd, we advanced our works considerably , then occupying ground that was in possession of the Rebs on our arrival. On the afternoon of July 3rd, while flags were being displayed in front of our pits, the boys immediately fraternized, exchanged news, tobacco--coffee and hardtack and as we knew their time had come we felt genial toward them.

After firing of evening gun, the cry along the front was "Hunt your holes" and in less time than it took to say it--Rebs and Union men were in their respective places of shelter again but kept rather quiet during night. On the afternoon of the 4th of July we entered the city and by that, ended another act in the great drama of the slaveholders rebellion. Vicksburg with all its garrison, guns, ammunition and other stores was in our hands and thereby the great highway of trade and traffic North and South, the Mississippi was virtually opened again in all its length, and by it, our forces were released to pitch into the enemy at other needed places-- in fact the backbone of the rebellion seemed to be broken (though said backbone was a rather stiff and extensive one).

From July 5th to the 10th we lay in southwest portion of the city, gathering up ordinance and destroying their former works. On July 11th embarked for some point below, but on same evening get signaled by gunboat Arizona and received intelligence of fall of Port Hudson, the last Rebel hold on the banks of the river. On the 12th move up stream, enter Yazoo River, pass Haines and Snyders Bluff, past Sunflower Landing and halt within sight of Yazoo City afternoon of the 13th. Immediately the 37th was ordered ashore and advanced as skirmishers under cover of gunboats. Though the Rebel;s opened lively on us and boats--doing more damage to the gunboat DeKalb than to us, we were ordered back by nightfall, taking a few prisoners along (and here is where somebody blundered again, as after our recall the Rebs left) and later, about 10 p.m. when we were ordered forward again we found the place evacuated, and bivouacked in the streets of the city.

Remain in front of Yazoo City till the 16th of July, when by noon march with 5 days rations toward southeast--weather very hot and water scarce. Bivouac, then resume march on the 17th passing through Benton and reach Big Black River at dark and go into camp on east bank of river--remain there till 3 p.m. on the 18th when we march 8miles back-- on the 19th resume march again and reach camp near Yazoo River by 4 p.m. Remain there till the 21st, busy landing horses, mules, cotton, and other captured property, back to Vicksburg on the evening of July 21st, disembark on the 22nd, and embark again on the 24th, leaving Morristown on the 25th and arrive at Port Hudson on the 26th--Stay there on the boats awaiting orders till the 31st when we move into camp back of bluffs in cane brake.

August - September 1863

From August 1st to the 13th change camp twice, getting every day a heavier sicklist. Embark on the 13th and land on the 14th near Carrollton, LA. Go into camp between Carrollton and New Orleans, having more than half on sicklist. August 22nd turn out for a grand review of the old 13th Corps before General N.P. Banks. August 27th between sunrise and sunset bury 3 of Company A, and so through the whole command. September 4th reviewed again by General Grant and Banks and get turned over from the former to the latter, much to the discontent of the boys. September 5th are under orders to move again and embark and after midnight the 7th land near Morgansbend, (West LA). On the 8th start off after General Taylor and Green's forces on west side of Atchafalaya River, but unable to cross, return next day--remain around Morgansbend till September 20th doing picket duty most of time, same day move further up the river to the village of Morganza, doing same duty till noon of the 29th, when Regiment starts to assist the advance, consisting of parts of the 19th Iowa and 26th Indiana, which had been surrounded and mostly taken prisoners in the morning (it being rather misty and cloudy). The 37th was on skirmish line till evening but meantime Rebels had recrossed the river. Their forces were said to be more than 3,000 while ours in the immediate front was scarce 1,200. Their loss was 32 killed and 110 wounded--ours 13 killed and 34 wounded.

October 1863

September 30th General Dana assumed command in place of General Herron. On our return to Morganza we found the whole village and section round about in smoke and ashes. October 1st the Regiment scouted and skirmished between Bayou Sara and Atchafalaya River capturing prisoners, horses, mules and cattle. Reembarked on the 10th reaching New Orleans on the 11th--remain there in camp and get a good drilling every day till the 22nd, when, after dress parade, 3 cheers for General Dana and the Rio Grande, gave us to know what was before us.

Embark by noon of 23rd on the G. Peabody along with two troops of 1st Texas Cavalry. Drop down past Crescent--26th go down to head of passes and by noon October 27th steam through southwest pass into Gulf--on the 28th under convoy of gunboats start in regular line across the heaving bosom of the Gulf of Mexico (need I say how he exacted his tribute of nearly all of us) had fair weather and sailing on the 29th, but on the morning of the 30th it was quite stormy and rough, so much so that our rudder chain snapped and thus left the boat unmanageable--boat hands with the assistance of our boys (most of Company D being old lake sailors) soon fixed the steering apparatus with ropes, block and tackle thereby we were able to keep in our course but soon we noticed other boats having apparently worse trouble than we, as on some we could see white flags hoisted.

Morning of October 31st found us on place of rendezvous, assigned by General, where we found a dispatch boat and soon others followed till afternoon when Generals Banks and Dana, in their boats, ordered us into proper line, but 7 vessels of the fleet were still missing. November, December 1863 On the 1st of November by 4 p.m. we dropped anchor near Brazos San Diego. The morning of the 3rd the rest of the missing boats came up, and we commenced to land. November 4th our Regiment crossed the breakers and shortly afterwards in great joy, landed on the sandy beach but suffered for lack of water. On the next day started for mainland by fording Boco Chico, an inlet over one-half mile wide and over four feet deep--most all of the boys had to make two trips to bring arms, clothing and accouterments across, a trip long to be remembered by many.

After a short rest on mainland, form and march till about 9 p.m. We bivouac near Rio Grande on old battleground of Palo Alto. Remain for 2 days waiting for rations, resume march on the 8th of November and by the 9th reach Brownsville, pass thru' town and go into camp about one mile beyond. From 9th till 21st. Then receive orders to march. Company A, F and G taking the overland route with teams under Major Payne, while rest of command embark on a river steamer (Mustang). The 3 companies named reached Ring Gold Barracks on the 25th of November (ahead of those on the steamer) seizing over 80 bales of cotton--flour and other stuff. Remained here for two days. Then return to boat which was aground on one of the numerous sandbars some 30 miles below the barracks. Reaching the boat they embarked for the return, but owing to low stage of water made slow progress but finally got to Brownsville December 12th, being about 22 days on a 12 day supply of rations, but beef was plentiful along the river, also raw sugar. We remain at camp from December 12th to the 31st, receiving on the 26th a Christmas present in shape of two months pay.

January, February 1864

January 5th still in same camp, money getting plenty, we receive another two months pay. January 24th on dress parade Colonel J.C. Black who as an orator or commander always does himself with the cause, gave us a stirring patriotic speech with a view to get us to reenlist, but boys took it under consideration till February 10th, when General Ord and Colonel Black addressed us again, and this time started the ball, and before evening of the 11th the necessary three-fourths of the Company had reenlisted, (under promise of a furlough for 30 days) under Sp. O. No. 191 War Dept.

Left Brownsville that same evening and reached Point Isabell by noon the 12th, cross bar of river on Mustang--then board St. Mary on which we recross the Gulf arriving at New Orleans evening of the 15th--get ordered to camp in one of the cotton presses close to the river. Remain here sometime making out "muster out" and in rolls and settling up all necessary business. February 28th get mustered in again by Major Maloney. March 1864 March 4th participate in the inauguration of the first Free State Governor of LA under great military pageant and firework display. After receiving more pay and bounty installments embark again on March 29th on Steamer Hope. Leave morning of the 10th for up river--passing all familiar landmarks in rapid succession. Reached Cairo by the 19th--St. Louis by the 21st and Chicago, by A. and C. Railroad on the 22nd of March.

Here we were well received and quartered in Soldiers home, realizing once more the blessing of being in a land of friends and plenty. Were well treated by our Chicago friends during out two day stay. March 24th we store our arms and accoutrements, receive furloughs and Companies A and H board train for Rock Island at 10 p.m. Arrive at 7 a.m. the 25th and get well received by the citizens and treated to a breakfast in Island City Hotel, after which we scattered to our respective homes to enjoy a well earned and long to be remembered furlough.

April, May 1864

April 25, 1864 went back to Chicago and left there the afternoon of the 26th. Arrive before Memphis by the 30th into which place Rebel General Forrest and forces had just made a dash the night previous. May 1st found the Regiment on picket duty outside Memphis near Germantown road, and on the 2nd marched by way of Moscow Summerville and Bolivar toward Ripley in pursuit of above named forces, but after 4 days pursuit we returned to Memphis reaching there the evening of the 10th (having marched 140 miles paying for our 30 day furlough.) Reembarked on the 11th for further progress down the river. Reached Natchez on the 14th. Bivouac there, by order of General Canby, till the 15th when we get ordered to mouth of the Red River--start up the river and reach Simmesport on the 17th.

There we find rest of Army, lay there for guard and fatigue duty till the 20th, when , as rear-guard of whole Army, march along Old River towards Mississippi. Arrive at Morganza the 21st. On the 30th start out on another scouting party towards Achtafalay River and Bayou Fordeau. After a most effective scout of four days, return to camp at Morganza.

June, July 1864

June 2nd having traveled over 60 miles--out on march again the 14th, return and move camp the 15th meanwhile get incorporated into the 19th A.C. Remain in camp near Morganza with guard and picket duty till July 12th when we receive orders to embark on transport "Kate Dale" and start up White River as far as St. Charles, land commence fortifying the place--working hard day and night (here get detailed by Brigadier General Lee to act as Brig. Com and issue rations etc. etc., (also keeping mess of Colonel J.C. Black in free grub and alive).

August, September 1864

On the 6th of August get relieved from the place and ordered once more back to Morganza--the 13th find ourselves in M.K. Lawlers Brigade, another change. Between the 13th and 31st changed camp several times but only short distances, doing most picket duty. On the morning of September 3rd 15 out of 21 commissioned officers tender their resignations but failed to get them accepted--embark same afternoon and reach mouth of the White River the 8th. September 20th all nonveterans of Regiment leave and other left at Brownsville pass us on boat on route for home. (September 29th go with transport to Memphis for 50,000 rations high old time).

October, November 1864

We remain in camp at White River Landing till October 7th. Embark again and reach Duvall's Bluff on the evening of the 8th--march about one mile west of town and go in camp. Here we do something never done before by this Regiment--go into regular winter quarters of log houses built by ourselves. Whole distance traveled in September and October: 650 miles. November 1st finds us still at the bluff enjoying our log cabins with plenty of picket and fatigue duty.

December 1864

(December 15th witness the execution of a deserter and bounty jumper and in building breastworks). We received cheering news from all our Eastern Armies--Thomas--Sherman--Grant--etc. and with these and plenty of drill we while away the winter hours--but with the 37th a good thing never lasts long, as the sequel will show so goodbye to the eventful year of 1864. blessed by a great many Union Victories, but also cursed by just as many follies and mistakes.

December 17th got transferred from 19th Corps to 4th Brigade Military Division West Mississippi Corps, the balance of our Brigade from Brownsville, Texas, having lately joined us again under General Steele and General Canby, consisting of two Brigades of colored troops. (Christmas and New Years on the Bluff- where high times for some officers and also men, as bad whiskey made a good many fools--and made duty heavier on the decent part of the crowd.)

January - March 1865

As expected the New Year did not find us idling very long, as on the 4th of January 1965, we received orders to move, but on account of rain, snow and sleet, alternating we did not embark till the 7th, on the river transport Mempham, reach Kennerville, LA on the 11th. Here go into camp in an old sugar can field and remain till February 13th by which time we have the water squeezed out of the ground, as everything seemed to be under water. Having embarked again on the 13th, we made an attempt to cross the gulf eastward, but because of high wind and waves had to return inside of Passa Lautre again till the next day and on the 16th reported to the fleet in Mobile Bay. From here we were ordered to Barencas, Florida.

We land on the 17th. Remain in a very pleasant camp among the pines and other evergreens until March 11th. Then we march to Pensacola, 15 miles distant and remain there in snug camping quarters till the 20th. As second Division, 13th, A. and C. (consisting of two brigades white and three brigades colored boys) under Generals Steele and Camby, on the night of the 21st start march, but because of heavy rain move slowly, cover only five miles, most of time skirmishing and building corduroy roads for teams and artillery, crossing Perdido and Escambia Rivers on temporary bridges of own building. We reach Pollard, a diverging point of railroad on the 26th. Here we capture and destroy a good deal of railroad and other property and are joined by some other forces, principally cavalry.

On the 27th cross the railroad and take some prisoners. On the 28th the 37th advanced--building more roads and bridges. The 29th and 30th help along with trains and artillery, being now in Tensas bottoms.

April 1865

April 1st pass through Stockton. April 2nd, 37th again being advance, at 4 a.m. march and come in read of Fort Blakely about 9 a.m. when Brigade forms in line of battle, left of main road--advance in columns of companies and under heavy shelling from ene,y, seeming to be mortars or gunboats. Later in day find shelter in some ravines near extreme left. On the right we were joined by the colored division.

About 9 p.m. that night ten files from Company A reported to General Black, after cautiously advancing somewhat, were ordered to open the first trench for our Regiment for the investment of Fort Blakely and under a constant patter of rifle balls soon made themselves safe in a rifle pit along the top of a ridge. After midnight we were relieved by a larger force and from that time we advanced our trenches, daily and nightly, more so on the afternoon of the 5th--General Grangers, with his forces around Spanish Fort a few miles below us, opened a heavy bombardment--we made a general advance also along our whole lines. During the whole siege the troops were every morning by 4 o;clock under arms in the reserve of advance pits.

On the 7th we got some of our batteries in position-that night some of the Johnnies called to use that they would reveille about two hours earlier. At 2 o'clock they opened on us pretty lively all along our front and kept us and themselves pretty busy. The evening of the 8th Spanish Fort received another pounding and surrendered the morning of the 9th of April. Four O'clock of the same day found all of the troops in rear of Blakely under arms and moving toward their advance pits. Around 5 o'clock a general advance was sounded from right to left and under a heavy fire of shell from the fort we left our pits and advanced steadily as near in line as ground would permit--but we soon got into the abtis of tree tops fastened together by wire and other obstructions, but on we went and in 20 minutes from the time we started we were inside their works.

Joy and cheering as is not often witnessed, everyone feeling glad that the struggle was over. Once inside we formed again, and still under cheering, rushed down towards the bay, taking prisoners as we went, here we reached the Commissary Dept and thereby also a stop to our progress. We made a good haul to make up for our past short rations and with distended haversacks, we reformed under a bright moon and soon were on our march back to camp. On account of the many torpedoes encountered, with such deathly effect, (most of the troops especially the colored) during the charge we had to keep well on the main roads--finally about midnight reached our camp again.

In loss of the Regiment in the evening's work was one killed and seven wounded--Company A had one wounded while on our right and left the losses were much heavier. In prisoners we took about 3,000, our brigade alone taking one-half that number as the Rebels in front of the colored troops rushed towards the center for surrender as the cry of Fort Pillow with a red flannel rag on the end of a musket of the colored troops was not very encouraging for the Rebel chivalry, and to the credit of the colored troops, be it said General Hawkins Division did as well as any. The morning of the 10th took some Rebel prisoners and made them hunt and dig up those infernal torpedoes, another chivalric trick. After burying our dead we moved inside the works to near the river where we heard the first glad tidings from Petersburg, Richmond, Appomattox and virtually this cruel war seemed at length to be over.

On April 14th we enter Mobile and camp in suburbs till the 19th when we embark on transport Tarascon, (General Steele's Headquarters Boat) and while doing so hear the other sad news of the assassination of our beloved president Abraham Lincoln. Words cannot express the sadness and also the fierceness engendered against the Rebels by this news. On the afternoon of the 20th we were ordered to land and patrol the streets of Mobile as the intensity of hatred and grief might bring out an outburst. Embarked again on the 21st and on the 22nd of April with 13 other transports and some gunboats ascended the Alabama River, passed Cahabin on the 27th a former prison pen for our boys and fearing our vengeance they met us with a "white flag", for which we did not care much, but more so for the remaining weeks of Northern soldiers who were still here, having been too sick and feeble to be removed at previous raids. We took them aboard, and how they cheered the old flag, and how we treated them to the best we had is needless to dwell upon.

Arrive at Selma the 27th, here we found the effects of General Wilson's raid, and effectually, they had destroyed the large arsenal, gun foundries and other manufactories and also large stores of arms and ammunition and the whole river bed seemed to glitter with arms of all kinds. Land here and take possession of streets and approaches--bivouac and on the 29th embark again and proceed to Montgomery, the former seat of Rebel government. Here we land on the 30th but leave on May 1st, again returning to Selma by the 2nd.

May - June 1865

After a pleasant stay with light duties leave again on the 11th--reach Mobile by the 15th doing now provost duty and receive another couple installments of pay.

On the afternoon of the 18th, while in camp feel a sudden shock and shaking of ground--imagine "Kingdom coming" but soon found the cause to be the explosion of several blocks of warehouses, near the levee, stored with all sorts of ammunition. A shell having exploded by careless handling set the whole mess going and over 300 lives were lost and more than ten million dollars in property, houses, boats and docks were lost. June 12th receive orders to move with 60 rounds of ammunition--what now?--but remained in a state of suspense till the 28th when at 3 a.m. are ordered to embark on steamer Clyde which took us down Mobile Bay to steamer Sedgewick and soon transfer ourselves bag and baggage and the same evening find ourselves crossing the gulf again for the fifth time.

July - August 1865

Morning of July 1, 1865 finds us in the offing of Galveston, Texas. Land same day and march to the city where after changing camp once or twice, being almost impossible to find shelter from the sun's heat--we quarter ourselves in the Fremont Hotel (Company A, room ten), 48th and 83rd Ohio occupied same hotel. As those two Regiments had a little family quarrel among themselves, we find our Hotel going up in smoke and flame on the afternoon of the 20th. The 37th had to hunt other quarters and found them in one of the large cool and commodious cotton presses on the south side of the city. Here we enjoyed life as well as we could. August 4th embark on a coasting vessel and on the 5th land near Sabine Pass--The same day (August 5th) Companies A., D., E., and G embark again and passing through Sabine Lake we ascend Neehez River and land at Beaumont, Jefferson County, Texas on the 6th, where we quarter ourselves in empty stores and buildings, plying our old trade learned at Galveston, which was a general cleaning up of the leavings of the so proud and chivalrous sons of the South, too lazy and indolent to keep things, as we were in habit of seeming and having them.

Here we stayed till morning of the 17th of August when we were ordered aboard cars and reported at Houston same evening, examining melon patches along the road as cars could not travel very fast because of poor tracks. Bivouacked in the streets and next morning were ordered to another depot--took cars and landed at Alleytown, the terminus of the Austin and Columbus railroad--from here we marched on the morning of the 19th to Columbus, the county seat of Colorado County. On the 20th, Company A was ordered back to Alleytown again, where we made ourselves comfortable quarters in a grove adjoining depot grounds and acted as guard for all military stores shipped for General Custer's command northwest of here--in addition to that hunted considerable captured US and CS property among the natives thereabouts.

October 1865

On October 2nd, started on quite an extensive scout of that kind and returned the 7th having accomplished all we were sent out to do. The life we lived here somewhat compensated us for our prolonged service of US. Sweet potatoes and all other eatable of Southern climes were every morning abundant in camp, just as if they rained down during the night. (Pecans $10 a bushel). Having done our share of work and duty around Alleytown, on October 23rd we took the cars once more and returned to Houston arriving there on the 24th--went into camp in the heart of the city till the 27th when we board cars again--this time we land at Brenham, county seat of Washington County, another terminus.

Here we relieved part of the 29th Illinois Vet. Vol. Infantry ordered home, this making only the fifth different detachment relieved by us to go home--(rather consoling or provoking wasn't it?) The 37th finds itself now pretty well strung along the railroad through Texas--Company A being at Brenham, company B at Milligan, Company C at Columbus, Company D at Beaumont, "F" at Richmond, "H" at Alleytown, "K" at Hampstead with "E" "I" and "G" at Houston. At Brenham our duties were the same as before, only on account of more Government property being delivered here and reloaded on wagons for General Custer's command we were kept somewhat more busy. (Here enjoy being Post Adjt. Hospital Steward, Duty Sergeant and also Freemen's Bureau agent but make it all pay.)

April - May 1866

April 4th our camp visited by a tornado and tents and everything went flying--morning found us not only tentless but also wading through six to ten inches of mud and water, a little variation from the old program. Finally May 3rd receive orders to report to houston, preparatory to muster out. Report there and go into camp on the 4th and was kept busy with muster out rolls bringing up of Company and US on the square. May 15th, everything being found correct we were mustered out at Houston, Texas, but for our pay had to go to Springfield, IL. So on the 16th we embarked on a rice transport--some of the boys had too much(?) to control themselves and Company D lost several men who rolled overboard and drowned while empassage from Houston to Galveston. From Galveston we embark again on the St. Mary and reach New Orleans May 20th. Here most of the boys don citizen dress again.

Embark for up the river May 22nd and land at Cairo, IL the 26th. From here by cars we reach Springfield, where final pay accounts get settled--we receive Pay and Bounty in full May 31st and with that ended career of four years ten months in the war of the rebellion. And now having followed the fortune and misfortunes of the old 37th Illinois Volunteers Infantry till mustered out must close.


There were many personal incidents that might be interesting if I had space to relate them, for with all our hardships we had lots of fun and often tried to keep up our spirits with practical jokes. I have kept a running memorando of number of miles (see last diary) travelled--how many chickens we confiscated and after some of our raids there was nothing left to tell, but the bee stings, how much honey we captured. If the mules we took from the Rebs did sometimes balk US generally go them into working trim in a short time. We had also many sorrowful times losing kindred, friends and tent mates, but all this is but a memory now and may all who survive still keep in step together and work other interests as well as their own till right prevails and every one gets their proper dessert is the wish of yours etc.

Henry Ketzle
Lat Co. "A" 37th Ills. Vet. Vol Infantry
Reynolds, Ills.

Biographical Information

Henry (Carl) Ketzle was born in Stuttgart, Germany, October 6, 1834, a son of Carl August and Henrietta Bachmeir Ketzle. After high school he took a course in agriculture at Hohenheim University. He came to America in 1854, lived in New Jersey, three years working in the oyster beds. In 1858 he became a USA citizen. he homesteaded in Minnesota for three years--then moved to Preemption, Illinois. Answering Lincoln's call for volunteers, he enlisted at Rock Island, IL August 14, 1861 in Company A 37th Illinois Volunteer Infantry for three years. At the end of that time, he reenlisted, came home and recruited men from Preemption, Bowling, and Richland Grove townships in Mercer County. Among the recruits was Henry B. Clark who died at Carrolton, Mississippi, August 27, 1863. Company A was mustered out at Houston, Texas May 15, 1866. He bought an 80 acre farm in Perry township in 1866, was married Feb. 16, 1867 to May Elizabeth Clarke of Preemption, IL. A home was made for two sons, Paul C. and Henry Benjamin--five daughters, Henrietta, Augusta (Mrs. Marion Wait) Florence, Eleanor (Mrs. James A. Grimm) and Marguerite (Mrs. John Wesley Neaman) were born.

In 1869--Sterling Honeycutt, Lee Holiday and Hnery Ketzle, as building committee, a Methodist Church cost $2,100 was erected one mile east of Hamlet. Membership was 36. In 1870 the village of Reynolds (named in honor of Elisha P. Reynolds, railroad contractor) was laid out and a larger church built and dedicated October 14, 1877. June 7, 1914 the present Methodist Church was dedicated. The fourth generation of Ketzles still worship there. Henry Ketzle died February 18, 1917.

David A. Clark was President and Henry Ketzle Secretary of Hamlet Mutual Insurace Co. from its organization until shortly before his death.

Civil War Enlisted Men from Preemption Township Mercer County, Illinois:

William F. Little		Parley West
Henry B. Clarke			John Rodgers
Henry Ketzle			John Hay
Chas. Lipencott			Silas Hay
Wm. Welsh			Nathaniel Gray
W.H. Gilmore			L.O. Gray
James Gauley			Michael Conway
Andrew Wilson			Thomas O'Day
Henry Trego			James Johnson
Watson Trego			Montgomery Boone
James Sample			Manford Willard
J.W. Sample			Lewis Willard
Levi Sample			Ned Harris
R.L. Carver			Beecher Bristol
Robt. Whan			Wilfred Pitman
Francis Whan			Lewis Gardner
Charles Barry			William Pitman
L.B. Morey			Thomas Gauley
Frank Cannon			John Wilkinson
Lawrence McManus		Frank Warren
Daniel Mack			Jack Warren
John Waugh			Henry Piper
Alexander Waugh			Lee Officer
M.Y. Hunting			Jess Rodgers
Alanson Lake			Robert Briggs
Alman Wilbur			Sylvester Vivian
Alonzo Keniston			Thomas Briggs
S.H. Rodgers			Peter Redmond
Thomas West			William Barnes
Joseph Tidball			John Docherty
John Clay			J.B. Vance
John Cassenburg			Fred Jacobson
W.F. Johnson

Miles by Steam Foot 1861 Sep. and Oct. 450 Nov. and Dec. 360 1862 Jan. and Feb. 325 Mar and Apr. 95 May and June 335 Jul. and Aug. 146 Sep. and Oct. 300 Nov. and Dec. 365 1863 Jan. and Feb. 115 Mar. and Apr. 280 365 May and June 225 1100 Jul. and Aug. 100 800 Sep. and Oct. 75 1000 Nov. and Dec. 85 310 1864 Jan. and Feb. 50 550 Mar. and Apr. (2300 Brownsville to Chicago and back to Memphis) May and June 235 860 Jul. and Aug. 1200 60 Sep. and Oct. 50 100 Nov. and Dec. 1865 Jan. and Feb. 1280 Mar. and Apr. 150 425 May and June 800 Jul. and Aug. 400 Sep. and Oct. 130 50 Nov. and Dec. 86 30 1866 Jan. / June By steam from Brownsville to Springfield Total 14560 3286 (*)

Compiled by H. Ketzle
Co. A. 37th Ills. Vol. Infantry

Note: Totals as provided in original copy of diary, actual totals per the miles provided are: Steam 10196 Foot 7691